At UKALA, we believe it is important to work with others to improve the standards of the industry.
We provide members with access to support and services. These include protecting and enhancing your business and safeguarding the needs of your clients, business operations and improving the level of staff training. We are committed to introducing further products and services to meet the expanding needs of agents.
Since 2007 all landlords and agents who take a deposit in England and Wales must protect it with a government authorised scheme*. UKALA members qualify for preferential rates for membership and deposit protection with my|deposits, a tenancy deposit scheme in England and Wales. UKALA members can protect a deposit from as little as £10** . This means that most agents can save the UKALA membership fee if they protect just two deposits a month with my|deposits.
- Discounted Membership/Renewal Fees
- Discounted Deposit Protection Fees
- The ability to hold the deposit for the duration of the tenancy
- The preferred Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme choice for letting agents
- A bulk upload facility is available for easy administration
See more at my|deposits.co.uk
* There are different deposit protection laws for landlords in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
** Fees based on account type, volume of protections and dispute ratios.
Staff development is key to running a successful business. Continued Professional Development (CPD) is an excellent way for staff to improve and keep their knowledge up to date.
UKALA members enjoy discounted rates to the range of half and one-day courses organised by UKALA and the National Landlords Association (NLA). The array of courses will equip your agency staff with an understanding of landlord-tenant and property management issues.
UKALA membership also includes 24/7 access to an FREE Online Library, containing a wealth of information about the various and often complex legislation governing the letting of private residential property in England, Wales and Scotland. The Online Library is continually updated to reflect recent changes in the law and provides essential advice on best practice, helping to ensure that UKALA agents are aware of their responsibilities to landlord and tenant clients.
Accreditation has been a feature of the private rented sector for more than 15 years. It is the certification that a product or service has been evaluated independently and meets an agreed standard.
UKALA Agency Accreditation is exclusive to UKALA agents. The scheme, which is voluntary, is designed to link your membership of UKALA to the professional development of your property managers, becoming a valuable markting tool.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) routinely conduct extensive examinations of a proportion of businesses. This may include an in-depth review of your tax return records. These enquiries can take time and money to sort out.
- Tax Investigation Insurance is included as a benefit of UKALA membership at no extra charge
- It indemnifies members for professional costs whilst they are being represented
- A free telephone advice line is available
- Tax Investigation Policy - Summary of Cover
- Tax Investigation Policy - Full
- Tax Investigation Policy Schedule
If you're looking to take the risk out of renting then you should always carry out regular checks on your new and existing tenants.
Simply enter details of the new or existing tenant and you can find out if they:
- Have County Court Judgments
- Have been made bankrupt or are insolvent
- Have NOT lived at the previous address given
- Are NOT who they claim to be
- Are NOT employed and/or earning the amount they claim to be earning
- Have experienced problems with previous landlords/letting agents
We can even give you our assessment of their ability to afford the rent!